On 24 – 27 October 2019, Dr Kamla Mungal, Director, Leadership Institute, Lok Jack GSB, presented on the transformation of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service within the last year at the International Leadership Association (ILA) conference held in Ottawa, Canada. The ILA is the largest worldwide community committed to leadership development and practice. It brings together professionals with a keen interest in the study, practice and teaching of leadership.
This year the overarching conference theme was “Leadership: Courage Required”. The topics of the two panel discussions were:
- The Courage to Act: Challenging the Status Quo
- Intuition in the Face of Adversity: The Courage to Go With Your Gut
Participating in both panel discussions, Dr. Mungal firstly examined how courage in leadership can enable the process of institutional transformation. In her second presentation, Dr. Mungal dealt with the mechanisms used to challenge gut reactions and facilitate the shift from an embedded negative psychology to a more positive and empowering approach to change.
The international multidisciplinary group of panellists who took a deep dive into uncovering the nature of courageous leadership action also consisted of:
- Adi Walker, Phd, MSc., B.Tech (Eng), POD International Consulting, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Shanita Baraka Akintonde, MBA, M.Ed., DTM, Associate Professor, Communications Department, Columbia College, Chicago
- Lunthita Duthely, EdD, MS, BS, BA, Assistant Research Professor, UM Miller School of Medicine, Ob/Gyn