This intensive, 3-day workshop provides participants with the financial skills and techniques to operate an effective and efficient non-profit institution. The programme focuses on what good financial management entails and the basis for transparency and accountability for the non-profit organisation in the course of conducting their activities. The participants will be exposed to current financial management tools and techniques to further develop existing controls and systems of governance.
This workshop would be beneficial to persons operating, managing or exploring non-profit activities.
At the end of this 3-day workshop participants should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of, and evolve systems for financial planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Confidentially and efficiently integrate finance with operations
- Utilise internal control mechanisms in projects and financial systems
- Construct project-wise, activity-wise, and consolidated budgets using activity-based budgeting techniques
- Prepare and use a simple cash flow forecast
- Recognise the importance of being accountable and transparent to stakeholders and ensure effective use of resources
- Prepare and analyse financial reports
- Demonstrate an understanding of applicable taxation and legal provisions
- Comprehend historic and projected financial statements and management reports on entity performance.
- Assess/project business risks and the potential financial impacts of such risks on the entity.
Topics to be covered over this 3-day workshop include:
- Why good financial management is important for not for profit organisations
- The role of ethics in the conduct of the organisation’s activities
- Understanding financial statement and assessing the financial health of the institution
- The role of record keeping, accounting, budgeting and forecasting
- Managing profitability, efficiency and capital investments
- The role of the Board of Directors
- Sourcing funding and accounting to corporate and individual sponsors
Facilitator: Nigel Chinapoo
Nigel Chinapoo is a Director of a number of local and regional ICT and financial service companies and former Chief Information Officer of a multi-national conglomerate of financial and service companies based in the Caribbean. His unique background makes him well qualified to advise on the role of financial and information communications technology processes/systems on departmental operational, change management and new business initiatives. He has over 12 years of experience in the financial and services industry both as a financial/accounting professional and technology/systems executive.
Mr. Chinapoo launched his accounting career with membership and subsequent fellowship of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) in 2000/2003. He moved directly into the financial services industry in 1999 when he accepted the Finance Manager position with then Colonial Life Insurance Company and its subsidiaries throughout the Caribbean. Mr. Chinapoo's subsequent experiences include serving as the head of insurance and financial systems development at SunGard Insurance Systems in Atlanta as well as Manager of Mergers and Acquisitions at Citigroup. He also served as Chairman and Board Member with several Health and Document Imaging companies based in Trinidad and Tobago. Mr. Chinapoo's experience with leading financial organisations is complemented by his leadership roles in various industry organisations such as Chairman of the E-Teck ICT Cluster advisory Board and member of the Trinidad Chamber of Industry and Commerce's EBITT committee.
Mr. Chinapoo is a graduate of the University of the West Indies with a BSc. in Economics/Mathematics and is a Fellow of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (F.C.C.A.).
|Date||View Event Calendar|
|Time||8:30 pm – 4:30 pm|
|Cost||TT $4,000.00 (inclusive of training materials, refreshments and Certificate of Participation)
Please note that prices are subject to change without notice.
|Venue||Arthur Lok Jack Graduate School of Business
Max Richards Drive,
Uriah Butler Highway, North West,
Brent Cassim - ext. 330
Certificates will only be issued to participants who have attained a minimum attendance rate of 75% for the duration of the course.
Course Cancellation/ Reschedule Policy
Arthur Lok Jack GSB (ALJGSB) reserves the right to cancel training at any time. If ALJGSB cancels the training due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of ALJGSB, you are entitled to a full refund of the course fee, or your course fee can be credited toward a future training, based upon availability (providing payments have been made before original advertised date).
ALJGSB reserves the right to reschedule training at any time. If ALJGSB reschedules training due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of ALJGSB, the training will take place at the next available time. Participants will be informed via phone and/or e-mails.