Government, civic and political event planners have the unique characteristic of managing these events in an environment that is heavily scrutinised by political and bureaucratic officials, the general public and the media. In this workshop, participants will learn techniques to plan successful events despite the additional considerations attributed to the public sector. Topics include funding and recordkeeping, protocol, ethics, hallmark and auxiliary events, among others.
This course is designed for anyone involved in the planning and coordination of government, civic and political events. There are no pre-requisites and the programme offers important training and insight for event planners, as well as, anyone interested in acquiring skills for the industry.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the unique implications in the design, development, and planning of government, civic, and political events
- Identify important social or political settings and the impact this has on planning
- Establish proper decision-making methods and clear lines of authority
- Establish financial procedures that ensure compliance with laws
- Understand the ethical issues that an event manager in the public sector must be sensitive to and abide by
- Perceive the public scrutiny surrounding these events and how it affects you and your event
- Comprehend the relationship between personal actions and public events
- Understand the role VIPs or celebrities will play in your event
- Prepare for protocol issues and contingency plans that surround VIP involvement
- Assess the need for volunteers and effectively recruit, co-ordinate, and reward them
- Understand the rationale behind and assess the need for privatisation
- Identify entry paths to careers in event management in the public sector
- Understand the role and scope of hallmark events and auxiliary events during a hallmark event
This in-depth and comprehensive course covers content in the following topic areas:
- The Unique Nature of Government, Civic, and Political Events
- Funding and Record Keeping
- Very Important Persons (VIPs) Services
- Volunteer Participation
- Privatization Issues and Trends
- Career Opportunities
- Hallmark and Auxiliary Events
Facilitator: Ms. Sandra Basheer
Ms. Basheer has been teaching at the Lok Jack GSB for the past six (6) years and has extensive experience in the field of event management. Ms. Basheer's portfolio includes such major government hosted events as, the ICC Cricket World Cup where she held the post of Manager of VIP & Protocol, as well as key roles in the Establishment of the Association of Caribbean States, FIFA Uunder17 World Youth Championship 2001, Miss Universe Pageant 1999, various Trade Expositions and Manager of the government established "Events Management Centre." Ms. Basheer is a graduate of the George Washington University Event Management Programme and is currently completing qualifications in Arts and Cultural Enterprise Management at the University of the West Indies.
|Date||View Event Calendar 20th-21st January, 2015|
|Time||8:30 pm – 4:30 pm|
|Cost||TT $3,800.00 (inclusive of training materials, refreshments and Certificate of Participation)
Please note that prices are subject to change without notice.
|Venue||Arthur Lok Jack Graduate School of Business
Max Richards Drive,
Uriah Butler Highway, North West,
Brent Cassim - ext. 330
Certificates will only be issued to participants who have attained a minimum attendance rate of 75% for the duration of the course.
Course Cancellation/ Reschedule Policy
Arthur Lok Jack GSB (ALJGSB) reserves the right to cancel training at any time. If ALJGSB cancels the training due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of ALJGSB, you are entitled to a full refund of the course fee, or your course fee can be credited toward a future training, based upon availability (providing payments have been made before original advertised date).
ALJGSB reserves the right to reschedule training at any time. If ALJGSB reschedules training due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of ALJGSB, the training will take place at the next available time. Participants will be informed via phone and/or e-mails.