Promoting a more effective, positive and productive public sector environment through strong leadership and smarter management.
Global shifts and trends are influencing all aspects of management and leadership in the public and private sectors. Public sector reform has been influenced by the myriad of changes both locally and globally resulting in a higher demand for managers to develop new skills and personal mastery to influence positive change. Public sector managers are challenged to acquire the right mix of skills and personal balance to meet expectations. This 4-day workshop is especially designed to provide critical support to these managers.
This programme would be beneficial to emerging & existing managers within the public service including:
- Middle-level Managers
- Individuals in a professional or technical position requiring management skills or aspiring to management
- Supervisors requiring management skills
- To understand emerging trends in the current global and national environment which are affecting public sector management;
- To explore the management competences required to function effectively as a public sector manager;
- To provide tools to engage participants in gaining personal insights in an effort to develop personal and emotional mastery; and
- To assist participants to reinforce/develop competences to practice new age management and leadership.
Upon completion of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Function with a greater level of awareness of the environment and what is required to be more effective;
- Develop a clearer understanding of their strengths and areas for improvement and craft appropriate plans for their personal development;
- Utilise the knowledge gained and practice the skills to create a highly empowered work environment; and
- Utilise their skills to increase productivity levels and promote ethical conduct and performance within the public sector.
This workshop will be conducted utilising adult learning methods including:
- Case Studies
- Business Games
1. SCANNING THE ENVIRONMENT
- Global Trends in management
- Process reengineering and innovation
- Emerging Competences in public sector management
- Meeting the expectations of public customers
- The new public manager
2. DEVELOPING PERSONAL MASTERY
- Myers-Brigg Type Indicator
- Developing Emotional Mastery
- Powerful lessons in personal change
- Managing positively in a bureaucracy
3. NEW AGE LEADERSHIP
- The Whole Person Paradigm
- Developing your Intelligences/Capacities
- Express Your Voice/Lead a Powerful Life
- Leadership Attributes
- Four Roles of Leadership
- Modeling and Path-finding
- Aligning and Empowering
4. PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT
- Performance counseling
- Giving and receiving feedback
5. DIVERSITY MANAGEMENT
- Diversity management principles
- Psychology of managing diversity
- Mental models
- Recognizing types of prejudice
- Reduce prejudice & discrimination against other social groups
- Overcoming barriers
- Equal Opportunity Act 2000 (Trinidad And Tobago)
6. BUSINESS COMMUNICATION
- Handling Barriers To Effective Communication
- Giving Instructions
- Sending & Receiving Feedback
- Assertiveness: Three Styles- Assertive, Passive, And Aggressive
- Managing Anger
- Communicating Assertively
- Managing Negative Feedback
- Business Vs Academic Writing
- Writing Effective Business Reports
- Presentation Skills
7. BUILDING HIGH PERFORMANCE TEAMS
- Team formation
- Resolving conflicts / disagreements
- Team evaluation
- Valuing individual differences
- Leadership in Self-Managed teams
8. BUSINESS/PROFESSIONAL ETHICS
- Ethical Conduct/ Decision-making
- Work Ethics
- Fundamental principles of human behaviour
Falilitator: Ms. Hulsie Bhaggan
Miss Hulsie Bhaggan has a multi-faceted career in banking, management consulting, politics, trade unionism and in social and civic development. A Management Consultant by profession, Miss Bhaggan holds a B.Sc. in Management studies and a Masters in Business Administration (MBA).
She spent six years in retail banking and in the corporate banking environment where she has had extensive experience in branch banking, commercial credit, training and development and human resource management. After her banking assignment, she joined a Caribbean team dedicated to development of the Caribbean and Latin America Trade Union movement.
For eight years, she served as a consultant/resource person to the Caribbean Institute for Social Formation based in Venezuela and which specialised in human resource development programmes for trade unionists. This Institute was supported by the German-based Konrad Adenauer Foundation. Later, she was elected to the Trinidad and Tobago Parliament. After her four-year stint in formal politics, she returned to her substantive position as a management consultant.
Miss Bhaggan is Administrator at T&T New Life Drug Rehabilitation Centre and consultant/resource person to Living Water Community (one of T&T's largest NGO's). In addition, she conducts programmes in human resource development which include leadership development, supervisory management, conflict resolution, negotiations, team-building, public speaking, time management, stress management, performance counseling and communication. In her social work, she has spent the past eight years in mediation and addiction counseling.
|Date||View Event Calendar 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th February, 2015|
|Time||8:30 pm – 4:30 pm|
|Cost||TT TBD (inclusive of training materials, refreshments and Certificate of Participation)
Please note that prices are subject to change without notice.
|Venue||Arthur Lok Jack Graduate School of Business
Max Richards Drive,
Uriah Butler Highway, North West,
Brent Cassim - ext. 330
Certificates will only be issued to participants who have attained a minimum attendance rate of 75% for the duration of the course.
Course Cancellation/ Reschedule Policy
Arthur Lok Jack GSB (ALJGSB) reserves the right to cancel training at any time. If ALJGSB cancels the training due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of ALJGSB, you are entitled to a full refund of the course fee, or your course fee can be credited toward a future training, based upon availability (providing payments have been made before original advertised date).
ALJGSB reserves the right to reschedule training at any time. If ALJGSB reschedules training due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of ALJGSB, the training will take place at the next available time. Participants will be informed via phone and/or e-mails.