You have been recently appointed as a member of a company's board. However, you are new to this role and require additional preparation that will help you to competently function in this position. This workshop is designed to help you understand and prepare for the key expectations, responsibilities and challenges of the newly appointed director.
This programme is designed for the newly/first-time appointed director and those who expect to be named directors in the immediate future.
Upon completion of this programme, your understanding and preparation for the role as a director will have been advanced. You should be able to:
- Explain the key concepts and principles of corporate governance
- Assess the local corporate governance landscape
- Make valuable contributions to the board and company
- Outline the roles and responsibilities of the board and executive management in the governance system
- Identify strategies to effectively fulfil your role and responsibilities as a director
- Explain how boards operate
- Recognise the importance of ethics and integrity in corporate governance
Areas covered in this programme include:
- How a corporate governance framework works within a company
- Corporate governance in Trinidad & Tobago
- Benefits and importance of corporate governance
- Board's role, directors' duties and liabilities
- Effective board composition and structure
- Board procedures and practices
- Conflicts of interest and Insider Dealing
- Guidelines for the new director - what new directors need to learn
Facilitator: Dr. Ron Sookram
Dr. Ron Sookram is the director of the Centre for Corporate Responsibility at the Arthur Lok Jack Graduate School of Business. Ron has received professional training in Corporate Governance from the International Financial Corporation's (IFC) Global Corporate Governance Forum as well as from CMA (Certified Management Accountants). He has conducted Corporate Governance training for boards and management teams for both private and state enterprises. Ron also teaches Corporate Governance and Business Ethics both at the Lok Jack GSB and the Department of Management, UWI.ETCH
|Date||View Event Calendar|
|Time||8:30 pm – 4:30 pm|
|Cost||TT $4,200.00 (inclusive of training materials, refreshments and Certificate of Participation)
Please note that prices are subject to change without notice.
|Venue||Arthur Lok Jack Graduate School of Business
Max Richards Drive,
Uriah Butler Highway, North West,
Brent Cassim - ext. 330
Certificates will only be issued to participants who have attained a minimum attendance rate of 75% for the duration of the course.
Course Cancellation/ Reschedule Policy
Arthur Lok Jack GSB (ALJGSB) reserves the right to cancel training at any time. If ALJGSB cancels the training due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of ALJGSB, you are entitled to a full refund of the course fee, or your course fee can be credited toward a future training, based upon availability (providing payments have been made before original advertised date).
ALJGSB reserves the right to reschedule training at any time. If ALJGSB reschedules training due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of ALJGSB, the training will take place at the next available time. Participants will be informed via phone and/or e-mails.