The Occupational Safety and Health Act of Trinidad and Tobago established the need for a safety and health committee where there are 25 and more employees. The health and safety committee is an advisory committee to ensure a healthy and safe workplace and not as a body responsible for enforcing legislation. The committee recommends actions to management who has the authority and responsibility to make changes to meet goals and objectives. This workshop will assist committee members, managers, and health and safety professionals to establish an efficient and effective Occupational Safety and Health Committee that will meet legal requirements and help the organization protect all those who may be affected by their operations..
The specific objectives of this workshop are to assist committee members in:
- Demonstrate an understanding of their roles and responsibilities under occupational health and safety legislation.
- Forming an effective committee.
- Conducting effective and efficient committee meetings.
- Undertaking committee activities as set out in the occupational health and safety legislation.
- Recognising workplace hazards and recommend control measures.
- Responding to workplace concerns.
- Providing feedback to the employer in resolving health and safety issues.
- Identifying health and safety resources to find information.
This programme would be beneficial to:
- Safety Officers
- OSH Students
- HR Officers
- Security Officers
- Union Representatives
- Any other employee who is required to serve on an OSH committee
Topics to be covered include:
- Introduction to OSHA requirements for the health and safety committee
- Identifying unsafe acts and unsafe conditions
- Basics of Accident investigations
- How to conduct committee meetings
- Membership criteria, roles and responsibilities
- Techniques to communicate issues to both Management and Workers
- Active and re-active monitoring techniques
- Effective problem solving techniques
- Simulation of a OSH committee meeting
This workshop will be conducted through the use of:
- Case Studies
- Group and Individual Exercises
- Interactive Handouts and power-point presentations
- Role Play
Facilitator Bio Sketch: Mr. Sanjay Ramkissoon
Mr. Sanjay Ramkissoon is an occupational health and safety professional with over fifteen years of experience in the industry. Currently he is the Health and Safety Manager at SafetyView Consultants. In this capacity he provides safety and health courses and provides solutions to OSH policies and Risks Assessments. He has served clients from the construction, manufacturing and service industry. Mr. Ramkissoon also serves as an industry HSE Consultant conducting Risk Assessment and Audits in various organisations.
Mr. Ramkissoon also served as a part time lecturer at the Cipriani College of Labour and Co-operative Studies (2004-2009) for their academic programmes in the area of Occupational Health and Safety at a diploma and Bachelor's degree level. Presently he lectures part time at the UWI Open Campus (2003-2013) in their Health, Safety and Environmental Management programme and continues to serve as a part time OSH lecturer at Arthur Lok Jack Graduate School of Business (2008-2013) in various short courses.
He also conducts specialised training in the following areas: OSHA 10 & 30 Hr. General/Construction/Marine Industry Courses, First Aid/CPR/AED, Emergency Medical Responder, Wilderness First Aid, Bloodborne and Airborne Pathogens, Fire Safety, Introduction to OSH Act T&T, Accident Investigation, Risk Assessment, HSEQ Audits (OHSAS 18001, ISO 9001/14001), and S&H Committee training.
He holds the National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH)- National General Certificate from the United Kingdom and is currently completing Level 6 of this programme. Mr. Ramkissoon is an authorized Trainer with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Emergency Care and Safety Institute (ECSI) of the United States. He is also a Certified Manager of Quality/Organisational Excellence from the American Society for Quality.
Mr. Ramkissoon is committed to the development of the field of Occupational Safety and Health and makes it his duty to ensure all of his students are able to apply the classroom knowledge to the real world environment.
|Date||View Event Calendar 29th-30th January, 2015|
|Time||8:30 pm – 4:30 pm|
|Cost||TT $3,200.00 (inclusive of training materials, refreshments and Certificate of Participation)
Please note that prices are subject to change without notice.
|Venue||Arthur Lok Jack Graduate School of Business
Max Richards Drive,
Uriah Butler Highway, North West,
Umesh Sookoo ext. 367
Certificates will only be issued to participants who have attained a minimum attendance rate of 75% for the duration of the course.
Course Cancellation/ Reschedule Policy
Arthur Lok Jack GSB (ALJGSB) reserves the right to cancel training at any time. If ALJGSB cancels the training due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of ALJGSB, you are entitled to a full refund of the course fee, or your course fee can be credited toward a future training, based upon availability (providing payments have been made before original advertised date).
ALJGSB reserves the right to reschedule training at any time. If ALJGSB reschedules training due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the control of ALJGSB, the training will take place at the next available time. Participants will be informed via phone and/or e-mails.